Materials and Techniques, Part III

EDIT: If you enjoyed this review, please consider donating! Donations go towards the purchase of additional art supplies, which may include more markers for testing. If you found this review useful, please consider sharing it on your social networks.

RULERS and GUIDES


Alumicutter ruler (18")

Image via www.dickblick.com
I bring this ruler nearly everywhere I go, all the time.  At 18", its only slightly awkward, much less so than my 24" Alumicutter.  This ruler is fantastic for inking and cutting paper, and it's got a raised foam back so the ink doesn't seep underneith.  They're a bit pricey, but hold up extremely well, so there's no real reason for you to replace it.  Consider this an investment.

French Curves-

I'm pretty sure I have a C-Thru set, as pictured below.

Image via www.dickblick.com
I honestly don't use these as often as I should.  They're great for creating a perfect curved edge when you're inking.

Ship Curves

Image via www.amazon.com
Another tool I don't utilize often enough. 

Drawing Board:

Image via www.dickblick.com

Believe it or not, not only do I have a really nice drafting table that I don't use, but I have a really nice drawing board with feet that adjust the height that I ALSO DO NOT USE.  I do, however, use a really crappy drawing board I stole from my younger brother when he was in middle school and I was in highschool.  I have since given him a much bigger drawing board, but I still use the 16"x15" board.  My board has two clamps, and I had to buy a rubber band to go around it, but these are pretty similar to what I have.  I bring my board and my ruler everywhere and constantly use it as my drawing surface.  When space permits, I even bring it to conventions, because everyone knows there isnt room enough at those tables for wares AND art.

TECHNICAL STUFF:

Printer/scanner/copier/fax/coffeemaker

Image via www.amazon.com
It's not particularly great at any of these functions, but it gets the job done in a large format, so I don't have to constantly spend my time at school jockeying for a printer.  As I was typing this, the darn thing turned itself on, which is JUST A BIT FREAKY TO ME.

PROGRAMS:

Photoshop CS5-  Like you DONT know.
JPEGCROPS- Great for mass cropping of similiar sized files (like scans from a sketchbook, for example).

MARKERS:


These are MY markers in MY markerbox with MY Copic swatchbook.  NOT some pretty image from the internet.  I have to admit, I'm a little proud of myself on this one.  I used to use Prismacolors back in the day, but Copics really won me over with their fantastic brush tips.  I can get some effects that are nearly watercolor.  They're a lot of fun to render with, are refillable and have replaceable nibs, and there are all sorts of neat toys you can use with them (like the airbrush I am lusting over).

There's a lot of whining about how expensive Copics are, particularly Copic sketches.  I have two solutions for you.  1.  You can use Copic Ciao, which are less expensive, but I've never used, so I can't recommend, or you can do what I do and 2. Buy a few (a very few) every time you go to the art store.  Even if it's just ONE each time you go, you'll slowly build up a collection.  Make sure you start with the most important colors (skintones, IMO) and work from there, buying colors you will actually use.  I started my set with the Primary collection of 12 because it went on sale on Amazon about a year ago, and then branched out into the warm grays, which are really very useful.  There are a lot of great resources for markers online, and no, a set of Crayolas will not replace a set of decent markers if you are serious about rendering with marker.


BONUS:
And here are the contents of my pencil pouch, along with my Alumicutter on my drawing board.

I plan on doing an inking process entry next, so you guys can see my abused Multiliners and gelpens then.  ISNT THIS EXCITING?!~

Comments