Where I Got My Comics Start

As you guys know (since I spam you with it), I've recently put up a post full of questions on how I can improve my blog (as well as some general nosy questions).  One of the results that surprised me the most is that you guys would actually like to know me better.  In all honesty, with the exception of my Facebook, I go to lengths to keep my private life private.  Its not that I have a particularly interesting private life (I'm kind of boring, which is one of the reasons I don't talk about it much), but I was raised in the age of Chris Hansen, the age of "everyone on the internet is a fifty year old perv out to pick you up".

I say that now, but I wasn't always so discreet in my internet journaling.  I had a dreamjournal years ago, and though I never used anyone's real name, I was way too descriptive in my posts.  When my mother found my journal, there was hell to pay.  Two years after that, I started up a Livejournal, which led to inevitable internet highschool drama and bickering.  I kept the Livejournal up until a year ago, toning down the content of my posts significantly.  When I started the blog, I wanted to keep it professional, to the point where I fear I've probably become bland.

In sharing personal information about me, I want to keep it related to comics or to this blog in general.  I want this blog to be inspiring to aspiring comic artists, so I don't intend to write about my favorite bike route or how I like my coffee, unless I can relate it to comics or art. 

Most comic artists I know began reading comics at an early age.  They were in love with Calvin and Hobbes, but The Times Picayunne (our local paper) stopped running it in 1987, the year after I was born. My memories of newspaper comics are pretty dismal- Peanuts (the later ones), Garfield, Family Circus.  Not exactly the sort of comics that encourage continued readership or inspire admiration.  I watched cartoons, but not quite as ardently as other one day sequential artists.

As a kid, I drew for a hobby.  It was pretty passive, if I felt like drawing, I did.  There was no talented art for me, very little directed training, but I enjoyed it.  I thought I was good, and I didn't bother to show it to other people, and that was enough for me.  My real passion was writing.

When I had my first boyfriend, it was this passion for writing that led the both of us to discover comics.  He was into anime, and I began reading manga under his influence.  I liked what I saw.  While we dated, we talked about comic collaborations, and when we broke up, I realized that if I wanted that to happen, I had to take on both roles.  I started doodling little comics in the summer before 8th grade, but I didn't bother to see what other artists online were up to.  At the time, I thought I was fantastic, but of course, I was horrible.  Still, it was a start.

For ten years (about), I drew with my head up my butt.  I complained about wanting to improve, but I only drew what I wanted when I wanted.  Unfortunately, I find myself slipping down that path again, and I forsee drawing cars and bikes and houses in my future (all things that give me fits).

Comments