Inside My Everyday Carry

every day carry

web definitions
Everyday carry or every day carry refers to a small collection of tools, equipment and supplies that are carried on a daily basis to assist in tackling situations ranging from the mundane to the disastrous.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Every_day_carry

I never go anywhere except the bathroom without my sketchbook and drawing supplies.  If I leave the house, my sketchbook is tucked under my arm or into my bag, my sketching supplies packed securely into my purse.  They've become a bit like a security blanket for me- amusement that passes long waits quickly, an excuse to people watch, and a little something that reminds me that I am legitmately an artist.  I think most artists bring their sketchbooks along on their travels, and while our pencil pouches may share similarities, there's a lot of differences too.

Some people take the term 'every day carry' quite seriously, striving to streamline what makes it into their pockets and pouches.  I'm not one of those people.  I am a packrat.  I carry a purse (and sometimes a shoulder bag, and occasionally a backpack) for a reason.  I don't want to have to 'make do'.  I want the right tools at the right time.

Past Pencil Pouches


I've owned a variety of pencil cases in the past, from fairly simple little zippered pouches to bags with lots of compartments and elastic loops.  I'm currently using a Nomadic PN-91 from Jetpens (found here) which I really like as there's plenty of room.  Unfortunately for me, it may be time I pare down on the supplies I carry everywhere, as it's full to bursting most of the time.  I've had it for around two years now, and besides my tendency to overpack, I haven't had any issues with this bag.  I also use a much larger Dr. Ion case for my hand lettering supplies, in case you carry much more around with you than I do.


I apologize in advance for the blurry photos.


The nice thing about my Nomad pouch is that there's a lot of pouches and elastic loops.  Inside the front webbed pocket I keep two Copics for sketching, a tablet stylus (not a Wacom stylus though), a fude pen, and a white signo.  I also keep spare .1 nibs in the webbed pouch.


On the little elastic tabbed 'door' I keep a disposable .5 Multiliner for sketching, a .1 non-disposable Multiliner for inking sketches, a Tombow Mono eraser, a Pentel Graph Gear 500 drafting pencil with HB to B grade graphite, and an Alvin mechanical pencil with non photo blue lead.  All of my mechanical pencils are in .7, because I'm heavy handed.


The 'main' storage compartment varies.  Right now I have a .2 Multiliner, spare .7 graphite lead, extra non photo blue lead, an Alumicutter mini ruler, Blick color pencils (for sketching) my smaller Mono eraser, a black Signo pen, and a black Sharpie.  In the top smaller compartment I keep my eraser (Mono) and usually a flash drive.  There's also a Kum magnesium pencil sharpener in there for sharpening color pencils.


Here's everything spread out and fairly organized.


More Information about Everyday Carry

The Writer's Essential Messenger Bag 
Why You Should Get Your Next Go Bag at the Army Surplus Store
Show Us Your Everyday Carry
The Simple EDC Bag


Comments